Tuesday, August 5, 2008

New Town, ND- Teddy Roosevelt NP, ND



OMF(frekin')G.  landscape change and Bison, bison bison (right MLP/Taco?) So we pull into the park on our bicycles and not only is it gorgeous but picture this (i'll draw a diagram and post the picture later) 15 bicycles riding down the road and out road block is bison.  About 30 of them between us and a car on the other side.  We call the park ranger on our cell phone and she tells us to "wait it out" about 45 minutes later we decide to carry our bikes on our shoulders though the cacti and sagebrush around them.  

we get to the campsite and find out that about 1/2 of our tents actually have poles (this is our first camping experience so it wasn't us who lost them).  So there isn't enough room for all of us to sleep in a tent.  Some people make a lean-to with a tarp and decide to sleep under it.  I on the other hand feel like i've had enough camping in my life and was more than willing to sleep in the van.  Quang, Isaiah and I all take a seat and go to bed.  I plug in my headphones and pass out.  Around 3 am light wakes me up.  I unplug one earphone and clear a circle on the window where it had fogged up to look out at what people are now calling hurricane teddy.  Isaiah is a trip leader and he decided to go our in the rain to check that everyone is doing all right.  when he opens the door all that we can hear is Kathy Hill laughing between every crash of thunder, while everyone else is screaming and running to the bathroom.  I plug my earphone back in and sleep the rest of the night. 
...
morning comes and I look around the van Dan is sleeping under a pile or musical instruments in the back seat in the "multi-use sweatshirt" (towel, sleeping bag, shirt, skirt, dress, fashion..all in one)  with a fake native american pony on the front of it and under a towel and Dae is reclined in the front seat.  Kathy opens the door "Laura Maki" she states in a sarcastic, we were cursing you last night tone.   "smart girl" she finishes and walks away.  I pack up all my dry stuff and open my java monster energy drink that I bought the day before because I knew we weren't getting coffee in the morning (and in my opinion no day should start without it.) and watch all the wet people with their wet things wonder around laughing about the crazy night before.  

favorite quote "I never thought that I'd have to wake up in wet underwear under a urinal......again" 

because the storm didn't let up 25 people slept on the floor of the national park bathroom. and the funny thing is that they all claim to have "slept alright" apparently riding a bike makes you tired or something. 

1 comment:

mike said...

I understand from old people I know that Roger Miller used to sing "Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd". Guess that'd apply to biking too.

Congratulations on your common sense and foresight, Laura, you're a Maki through and through. :-))

Uncle Mike